Friday, January 25, 2013

Watching the Boston Celtics play the New York Knicks

Last night we watched the Celtics play the Knicks at the TD Garden in Boston. What an incredible game! It was nail-biting till the last few seconds - the final score was 89-86 to the Knicks.

Back in the day, I used to play basketball for a Chinese club in JHB. I admit I was (and still am) a bit of a tom-boy - I love sports and adventure :) I started playing when I was about 10 years old (I can't really remember exactly when it all began!). My dad had bought my brother and I a basketball and I remember I used to practice passing the ball with my dad in the passage in our house.  Later my dad had built a basketball board and ring and had set it up in our yard where we used to spend many hours playing. My dad also used to take my brother and I to the basketball courts at Wits or my High School, Sir John Adamson so that we could play. I was a big NBA fan, I used to follow it on TV, I had posters and banners of Michael Jordan in my room, I had the playing cards which you could swap, had the t-shirts, etc. I initially played for the Chung Wah 'Mini's' basketball team (under 13 years old) then I had joined the 'Ladies' team. We practiced every week at the Braamfontein Recreation Centre. We played in the Portugese League, I remember playing at the Uniao Hall in Turfontein and also in Boksburg and Kibler Park. We also used to play against Tigers - another Chinese club. I could play any position - centre, wing or back. We weren't the best team and we used to lose terribly sometimes but it was all in the name of fun. I remember one Mini's game we lost about 100-6! One of our disadvantages... Chinese tend to be on the short side compared to others, I was always one of the tall players in our team!  There is an annual Chinese Sports Easter Tournament every year which is held in different city in SA - JHB, CT, PE, Pretoria. It is a lot of fun as Chinese from around SA (teams include Southern Gauteng (or Southern Transvaal as it was called back in the day), Northern Gauteng, Eastern Province, Western Province, Free State, and Zimbabwe) unite to play various sports such as basketball, softball, table tennis, badmington, tennis, soccer, etc. The tournament takes place on the long Easter weekend. I played in a few of these tournaments and it was such fun. Such good old days! Sadly I stopped playing when I was at university and haven't really been following the NBA since.

So having the opportunity to go to a live NBA game last night was one of my childhood dreams come true :)

Co-incidently, Athol was in Boston doing his MBA in the mid-90's and followed the NBA so we recently reminisced about the old days when Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Hakeem Olajuwan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman (who always dyed his hair different colours), Karl 'The Mailman' Malone, Stockton, etc. were playing. We were surprised to see that Jason Kidd (Knicks), Kevin Garnett (Celtics) and Paul Pierce (Celtics) who played back in the day, still play today! Wow, can't believe that they have been playing for about 15-18 years! so it was so amazing to see them play. I can only imagine what it must have been like to watch  a legend like Michael Jordan play.

Entering TD Garden was amazing, the atmosphere at sporting events are incredible, we were fortunate to get good corner seats - we could clearly see the faces of the players and even see their names and number on their backs. There was a jumbotron in the centre and electronic advertisements all around the stadium. There was a small section in front of us where the journalists sat with their laptops, typing away and doing their twitter/facebook updates.


 

We watched the players warm up, then the national anthem was sung, then the players were all called on. Tip off was at 8pm. It was great to see these skilled players hit a three, 'swish' the ball and slam dunk with such speed and grace. The well-known 'D-fence' and 'Let's go Celtics' chants were played throughout the game. They even have a 'Noise monitor' which they show on the screens to show how loud the crowds are cheering. Was great seeing the foul shots.




During the quarters, the Celtics Girls (and guys!) did their dancing (they changed outfits every time they came on!) and they showed the audience on the jumbotron - this was very amusing seeing the crazy fans dancing (even doing the gangnam style!). There was a shooting contest where an audience member got to try shoot the balls into large drums of various distances, he managed to get three and won himself $500. At half time, the Celtics kids did some dancing, very cute.

Celtics led in the beginning but then the Knicks led till the end. It was very close. The Celtics missed a few baskets and made the occassional bad pass which the Knicks intercepted. In the end, the Knicks won by 3 points. What a fun evening! another great all-american experience with my wonderful husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment