Monday, January 7, 2013

Half way mark

Can't believe that we have been here in Boston for over 6 months already.

Summer School and the first Semester have come and gone. J-Term has started which will be an intensive 2 weeks for Athol with classes 8am-6pm everyday. He is doing a class on Persuation so I will be cautious to see if he tries any of his new persuading techniques on me :) it has been quiet here since we've been back, most students are still away. Things will be back in full swing when Spring Term starts on 28 Jan.

So 5 more months until Athol's graduation. Based on how quickly these last 6 months have gone, graduation will be here in no time.

Athol has decided to be a vegetarian because he doesn't like the idea of eating animals. He went through a phase of not eating red meat for a few months a while back. So I have started experimenting making vegetarian dishes - vegetable curry and chunky vegetable soup (not bad if I might say so myself, made it from scratch and it tastes like Woolies chunky vegetable soup!). I will try vegetable lasagne and vegetable stir-frys and vegetable pies. I admit, over the last 6 months I was making a couple of unhealthy American foods like hamburgers, hotdogs, buffalo chicken tenders, steak tips subs, pizza, etc. and I was baking milk tarts and red velvet cupcakes (we never used to really eat sweet desserts back in SA). So for our remaining few months, we are going to eat healthy (even though I will still have the occassional meat as I don't want to lose weight - need it to keep warm in winter :) ).

We are in the heart of Winter. Fortunately we missed some really cold snowy weather here while we were away along the west coast, lows reached 0 degrees farenheit (which is -18 celcius!). When we arrived back here on 3 January 2013, there was thick snow on the ground but is was frozen solid. Fortunately they can handle the snow here and are well prepared, all the roads and walkways were cleared. So let's hope that it doesn't get too much colder. I had put a plastic bottle (half filled with water) onto our balcony and the one morning it was frozen solid! just shows how cold is was.

I resume my English tutoring tomorrow in Chinatown so will have to venture out in the cold.

So am looking forward to the next 5 months of our adventure here in Boston and will enjoy every moment of this experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment