Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A day in my life - My Tuesdays

13:00-14:00 - On Tuesdays I have my lecture (the first of two during the week) which I am auditing at the School of Arts and Science at Harvard. It takes me about 10 mins to walk to the Harvard Yard - walking along Putnam Street then Mass Ave. The lecture starts at 13:07 - an odd time since this makes sure that there is time for the students of the previous lecture to exit the lecture room at 13:00. The course which I am auditing is called "Government and Politics of China" given by Prof. N. Dillon. It is very interesting, I have really enjoyed it! The course began with the history of China starting with the 1920 Revolution up to the current Contemporary China. It has been interesting to hear about all the uprising over the years with the peasant and student protests and the Cultural Revolution. I was amazed to learn that there are currently only 5 official religions in China and that children under 18 years and members of the Communist Party are not allowed to belong to a religion. Media is also strictly controlled in China. Facebook and Twitter is band but they have their own versions namely Renren and Weibo. There are about 40 students in the class and is lecture-based with discussion groups afterwards.

14:30 - I skype my parents living in Joburg (the first of two during the week). Technology is fantastic! It is 21:30 in South Africa so a 7 hour time difference. It is great to see and catch up on what is happening back home.

15:00 - I meet with my good Chinese friend Juan every Tuesday for tea and a chat. I met her at the Harvard Spouse's Get-together. I enjoy our weekly chats.


No comments:

Post a Comment