Monday, November 26, 2012

A day in my life - My Mondays

I thought that I'd document in detail what my days in Boston are like. Memories are so precious, even the little things mean so much and can be so easily forgotten.

This is a description of my typical Mondays, times are just rough guidelines to give you an idea. Mondays are my Mandarin lessons in Chinatown - a nice way to ease back into the week after a nice weekend.

7:15 - I am awoken by my alarm, I wake up hubby so that he can go do some homework. I snooze some more :)

8:00 - I wake up, quickily check emails. I make coffee and breakfast - usually fruit with yogurt sprinkled cashews (bananas, strawberries, grapes sometimes pear or apple) or Raisin Bran with milk. Have breakfast with hubby.

9:00 - Check emails and what is going on in the world. Check weather since living in Boston you need to be prepared. Weather.com give hourly forecasts with temperature and a "Feels like" temperature since with wind and snow it can be colder. http://www.weather.com

9:30 - Shower

10:00 - Do Mandarin homework and learn new vocabulary for test (including writing the characters). My Mandarin private tutor, Han, gives me a test every lesson.

10:30 - Remind hubby to shower and get ready for school. Athol has a habit of being late for everything so it's my job to make sure that he gets to class on time :) I pack a lunch for him - usually a bagel with cheese, tomatoe and ham with a small carton of orange juice.

11:15 - Hubby leaves for school. I do our usual 'goodbye' wave from our bedroom window (which is on the third floor) :)

I continue learning my new Mandarin vocabulary.

12:45 - Have lunch - usually a sandwich or leftovers from supper. I take something out of the freezer for supper.

14:00 - I leave for the Harvard T walking along Putnam Road then Mass Ave or Banks Street, then Grant Street, Holyoake Street then Mass Ave. It takes me about 10 min to get the the T. I catch the train from Harvard Square (Red line)  to Ashmont/Braintree passing Central-Kendall-Charles MGH-Park Street. I get off at Downtown Crossing and change to the Orange line towards Forest Hills.The train passes Chinatown and then I get off at Tufts University which is along Washington Street. I walk along Washington Street and turn right into Kneeland Street. The Chinese Institute of Language and Arts is along Kneeland Street. http://www.bostonchineseinstitute.com/directions.shtml. About a 5min walk from the T.

15:00-16:30 - I have my Mandarin lesson with Han

16:30 - By the time I get out the sun has already set! and this is even with daylights savings of 1 hour. I go back to the T and head back home using exactly the same route as I came.

17:20 - I arrive back home after the 10 min walk from the Harvard T

19:00 - Have supper with hubby. I usually make a stew, pasta, fish with vegetables, meat pie, grilled chicken mince or chicken korma. We either chat about our day or watch a sitcom, we are busy watching Frasier.

After supper, Athol will do some homework and I will just relax, do some Mandarin homework or prepare for my English tutoring sessions. We will re-convene later in the evening for coffee/tea play some Nintendo Wii (we play tennis and baseball everyday! it's very stress-relieving and fun :) ), maybe do a crossword puzzle or discuss philosophy with my philosophical husband :) It is amazing that even after 3 years of marriage, we still laugh every single day!

We sleep pretty late here, 23:00, midnight or sometimes even 1am.

I like my Mondays :)











No comments:

Post a Comment