Monday, May 26, 2014

6 weeks to go till we head back to CT

Time is going so quickly by, it's only 6 weeks until we head back to CT.

Athol has been busy with his papers, he has to submit his last 6000 word paper for Global Justice today. Then he has an exam on 10 and 12 June. After the 12th he has to work on his thesis which is due 1 September then graduation is in December.

It's been raining a bit in London, we've had some warm day i.e. 20C but on average the temperature is about 18C.

Today is another Bank Holiday, the second one this month.

I've been shopping around for a dress and finally found one yesterday. We have been invited to our first English wedding next month near Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare's home town) which is about an hour or so train ride out of London. I'm not quite sure what the dress code is, but guess that it is somewhat formal as it is an old English church. The ceremony is at 4pm then the reception is at a nearby farm.

The clothing sizes in the UK are a bit different to SA so it's best to try on the clothing to see if it fits. I seem to take about an 8/10 or a Small. Jeans I take a 28/30 inch. I haven't really bought much clothing recently. In our big move from JHB to CT I gave away tons of clothing. It makes you realise what a waste of money it is. Clothing is relatively expensive in London especially when you convert it to our weak ZAR :( I walked along Oxford Street a few times, but didn't find anything. Shopping is also a bit hectic here, it always seems SO busy!

There are the big departmental stores like BHS, Debenhams, John Lewis and there are clothing chainstores  like Espirit, M&S, Primark, Next, H&M and New Look.

I need to shop for a while outfit as I didn't bring anything smart/formal with. Also I didn't want to bring so much things over and even buy much things here as I'm not sure if all our things with fit in our suitcases when we leave!

Fortunately, a lot of the shops have sales but then size and colour are a challenge. To me, it is easier to shop online, the searching helps! Except size might be an issue.

I landed up buying a long black and white dress from TK Maxx, I must say that I think that I look pretty good in it :) plus the price was good too! I discovered that TK Maxx is a good place to shop for dresses, they claim that most things are 60% of the regular retail price. Now to hunt for shoes, a bag and a jacket. Apparently for English wedding woman sometimes wear a hat or a fascinator (like a flower or lace thing that you put in your hair) - not sure if 'll go that far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment