Saturday, August 18, 2012

Two months

I can't believe that it has been already 2 months that we've been living here in Cambridge. I guess that time does fly by when you are having fun.

I really like it here in Boston, it has been great experiencing life here.

The summer has been hot and extremely humid with occassional thunder showers. The humidity has been a killer expecially without aircon, we have two fans permanently blowing. The only problem is that you have to take the fan into whichever room that you are in plus the fan blows all your papers around :) I however am not complaining about the heat because I am dreadding the ice cold winters! There was a day or two in the summer when my feet were freezing. Need to go do all my winter clothing shopping soon - rain boots, hats, gloves, scarves, coats and thermal wear. Hopefully it will be a mild winter, apparently last winter was one of the mildest in years.

Security, like I've mentioned in my previous posts, is not an issue here and I really enjoy living without fear.

I've noticed that there are a lot of free things and places are very open. If I was a beggar and I could choose anywhere in the world to live, it would have be in the USA. There are always events with free food and drinks. Shops at Harvard Square are always giving away free chocloates, drinks, etc. Most places including the universities (Harvard and MIT) are very open, you don't need a student card to get into the grounds, there aren't even walls around the institutions. Anyone can walk into the university and sit under one of the lovely trees, most buildings are unlocked. There is free entertainment - free movies/live music at the Esplanade, benches everywhere along the Charles River or at the parks, musicians at Harvard Square, etc. Freed hand sanitizer at most institutions and shops. Free unwanted furniture or household goods are left outside houses by people. There is free wi-fi at some spots. You could join a public library for free and get passes to go to various museums. There are free newspapers. There are so many parks with pools, jungle gyms, basketball courts, etc. Education is free (except for the private schools). Free firework displays on holidays like 4th of July.

Things can be a bit pricey, especially if you are like me and convert the UD dollars in SA rands. Rent is expensive, eating out is relatively pricey (waiters/taxi drivers expect at least a 15% tip), theatre shows, concerts and sports games are expensive, clothing is fairly expensive unless you get it on sale or at a factory/discount outlet, furniture is fairly cheap and electronics and cars are very cheap.

Public transport (subway and bus) is very good. They have Zip Cars. A bus trip from Boston to NY can cost $13! The driving on the right hand side is still very strange to me, don't think I'll try it.

People are reasonably friendly however Cambridge has a lot of foreigners who are studying here.

I've completed my Level 1 in Mandarin at the Boston Language Institute so I can speak, read and write the basics. Am enjoying it, the writing is very tough. Will do Level 2 in September.

So overall I am loving the experience. Almost everything is somewhat different! Different brands, types of cars, lighting, mattreses, shops, etc.

Boston is a beautiful city. Been to the Quincy market, Fanueil Hall, Cambridgeside Galleria, JFK Park, Boston Common, Public Garden, Downtown, Prudential Skywalk Observatory, Red Sox game at Fenway Park, JFK Museum, Bruce Springsteen concert at Fenway Park, sunset harbour cruise on the Boston harbour, saw the 'Soup Nazi' from Seinfeld, walked around Harvard and MIT, had picnics along the Charles river, tried clam chowder, lobster, steak tips, pulled pork, buffalo tenders, Drakes coffee cakes, ....  to name a few of the great memories I have so far :)

So blessed to have this great adventure and to share it with my wonderful husband. Sometimes, it seems a bit surreal. I look forward to the next 10 months!



No comments:

Post a Comment